First, don't you just hate when you see and are inspired by a project but you can't do it because you don't know how it was done; can't find any directions, cut files, or patterns for it? Well, I've been seeing this flat victorian shoe project (sometimes being used as a box) all over the internet, loved it and couldn't find any directions for it. So, the last time I saw one, I really looked at it and decided it didn't look difficult at all and that I could probably make my own version of a cut.file and pattern. I did and I'll be sharing it with you -- as always! Here it is:
Although this tutorial is picture heavy, this project is really simple and easy -- you'll see once you've done it.
The materials I used for the shoe box:
1 - 12"x12" sheet heavy cardstock (for shoe's main sole, backstrap, and front top cover)
1- 6" x 10" sheet of white scrap cardstock (for bottom sole cover)
Aleene's Thick Designer Tacky Glue
I began by cutting the two page cut.file pattern pieces (main sole, backstrap, top front sole cover, and bottom sole cover) from my cut file:
To start I began with the long narrow strip (the backstrap) from the first page cut.file. I scored it along the straight edge about 1/4" in, bone-folded it along the scored edge, and then snipped cuts all the way across the length of the fold up to the score line. See the pictures below for examples:
I then located the dart near the middle of the main sole, this one:
This dart is where I started gluing the backstrap along the edge and around the back (the rounded edge) of the main sole until it reached the dart on the other side. I made sure the sole was glued on the top of the scoreline on the backstrap and the slitted tabs were glued to the bottom. See picture below for example:
I then folded in the tabs on the shoe's top cover and glued it, just along the edges, to the upper/top portion (the pointed end) of the main sole and glued the tabs beneath the main sole. EXCEPT: do not glue the cover to the sole along the scalloped top edge as this will be the opening pocket for your shoe/box:
After I glued on the backstrap and cover, this is what the shoe looked like (I added the scissors so that you can see the open pocket -- and where you don't want to glue. (Remember, glue along the edges only):
This is what the shoe looked like at the bottom once the backstrap and cover are glued in place:
Next I took the bottom sole cover from the second page of the cut.file and glued it to the bottom of the main sole to cover the tabs:
Because I didn't like the shoe as flat as it was, I decided to add a small heel (this is optional if you do this shoe, you can leave it flat). To do the heel, I cut about 1.50" from a toilet tissue tube and covered it with some of the leftover scraps; cut slits halfway down all around one end of the tube, folded the slits/tabs toward the inner part of the tube, and then glued it to the bottom back of the shoe's sole. Pictures below show examples:
Because I decided to add a heel, I had to adjust the shoe by bending it across the center at the beginning and end of the backstrap for the shoe to align properly. Like this:
To keep the shoe front from being so flat, I added a little batting to the inside toe of the shoe using the end of a stick to push the batting in place (also optional):
The shoe itself is done!!! Now it's time for me to show you how I decorated my shoe. First I premade my matching flower and assembled my embellishments and adornments. I also had ready the little gift I wanted to tuck inside my shoe (a small box of bath salts and a small bottle of roll-on perfume).
Okay, here I go -- the fun part! I first applied a coordinating color of Stickles to the top and the edges of my shoe and let it dry:
Then I glued on my ribbons and flower:
I tucked my little toiletry gifts in the inside of shoe's front pocket, and of course you just have to have a strand of beads draping from any victorian style box. Finally, popped on the label in the back and -- VIOLA -- done!!!
You can find my George and Sans Serif carts cut.file at the bottom of this post. Also, I have added a .PDF file of the pattern that can be printed out by those of you who do not happen to have these carts. Click on the .PDF file to open and enlarge it.
Please note: I love sharing, however, I basically do these DT cut.files for myself, and usually huriedly. Therefore, this cut.file version does not include the scoreline or slit cuts on the backstrap, please refer to this tutorial if necessary for that. Otherwise, it's really only 4 pieces to put together, then decorate. It really is E-Z!
I hope you like it; I'd really love to see what you can do with this!!!
As always, it was fun. Thank you for joining me whether here or at Pam's! And,... I'll be back!
Please click here for cut.file template download: victorian flat shoe template.cut
Please click here for gypsy.file template download: