Yesterday evening, I did a bit of playing around -- I LOVE to play! My inspiration for this project came from some plaster the hubby had lying around in the basement in the storage room (yep, same plaster you can purchase from any hardward supply store), and a can of spray webbing adhesive... lol!!! Now why was I digging around in our basement storage room? Well, looking for a craft idea, of course... lol!!! The spray webbing adhesive was some I'd purchased several years ago but had no idea why I'd want to have it; so until I decided, I tucked it away and forgot it -- until yesterday when I was searching through materials in the storage room.
Surprisingly the idea that came to my mind was not to use the webbing adhesive as a glue, as intended, but as dimension on my project. I wasn't certain it was going to work or even how it would look but, like I said, I like to play!
Here's the cherub frame I made:
That gold webbing on the frame is the webbing adhesive! Doesn't it look great?!!!
Well, let me give you a brief tutorial on how I did this. Already having the spray webbing adhesive and plaster, I grabbed a couple of molds and got busy:
I mixed plaster with water (enough to fill each mold) until I had a pancake consistency; I sprayed the molds with "good ole" Pam (praying the plaster wouldn't adhere to my molds still), poured the plaster into the molds and allowed it to set. Here's what I got:
Unfortunately I dropped the frame and had to glue several of the pieces back together so I won't be giving this one away... lol! Anyway, once the glued frame was dry, I spray painted the frame black and the cherub gold. Next I sprayed the frame with the webbing adhesive and allowed that to dry. My hope was that the adhesive wouldn't dry flat, wouldn't remain tacky, and would maintain it's dimension which -- yippeeeee -- everything came out as I'd hoped!!! Once the webbing adhesive dried, I used my finger to rub over the raised areas with gold Rub and Buff. All that was left to do after that was glue on the cherub with some E-6000 glue!
The next one I do I think I'll do in an off-white and gold because, although I thought the black would look nice with the gold, I wasn't particular afterward about the black at all. Also, I have no idea what I'm actually going to fill this frame with; the insert I've used here is only temporary, something I put there just to keep it from being blank when I took the picture. And, I can even see adding a bit more embellishing! Yes, now that this has turned out and worked out well, I have even more decorative ideas for future projects like this one.
Well, I hope you like it! Maybe you'll be inspired to try this! Okay, off now to find something else I can get into... lol!!!
I'll be seeing you!