WELCOME!

WELCOME!

Hello everyone! I am thrilled to have you visit with me and I hope you enjoy your stay. I absolutely love company, sharing, and making new friends so I hope you find something here that inspires, motivates, or just pleases you in some way.

Of course, I love to visit and be inspired also. So if I don't already drop in on you, please let me know where I can find you and I'll hop on over to see what you're doing or to just say "hi".

Before you go, I would love it if you'd please leave me a comment letting me know you dropped in! Actually, I'd just love to hear from you -- comments, opinions, or questions you'd like me to answer.

In the meantime, relax and make yourselves at home... you're family here!!!

I'll be seeing you!


Sunday, March 7, 2010

RAK DETAILS AND DEADLINE

Happy Sunday, friends, I've had a wonderful day and I'm back home now with the details for my RAK  I hope you all had a wonderful day, so far.  So are you ready?  Now, first, keep in mind that math is an absolute science -- right?  Okay, here we go, what you have to do is leave me a comment with your answer to this riddle:

Three (3) guys went on a fishing trip and decided it would be more economical to share the expense of the lodging for the night as they were all men.  When they got to the lodge, the desk clerk informed them the rate was $30 a night for their room, so they each paid $10 -- with me so far?!

Okay!  Now here's the riddle:

Shortly after the men left the desk clerk for their room, the desk clerk discovered he had made an error.  He should have only charged them $25 a night for the room they received, so he sent the bellhop to return the additional $5.  When the bellhop handed them the $5 and it was determined they could not equally divide $5 among the 3 of them, they each took $1 and gave the bellhop the other $2 as a tip.  Now instead of paying $10 each for the room (each having kept $1 of the returned $5), they ended up having paid only $9 each.
You can see that, right?  So..., the 3 men having ending up paying $9 each totals $27 plus the $2 they returned to the bellhop as a tip is only $29.  Now if  they started off paying $30 for the room, what happened to the other $1?  They did initially did pay $30 for their room, remember?  And it is true that the corrected $25 for the room plus the $5 overcharge that was returned does equal $30.  Where is that $1?

Okay, leave me your answer in the post comment, and the first person with the correct answer wins.  You will have until 1 p.m (CT) on Tuesday, March 9, to resolve the riddle and have your response in.  If the correct answer is not posted by the deadline, the person with the closest answer that is correct will win.

I hope you have fun with this one!  And, I'll be seeing you!

15 comments:

Kristina said...

Actually $25 divided by 3 is $8.33 plus the $1 refunded to them which is $9.33. $9.33 times 3 is $27.99 pluss the $2 tip is $29.99. Close enough?
This was fun!
Hugs,
Kristina

Audrey Frelx said...

Kristina, that's true too, but it after they recived the $5, they each took a $1, so they still ended up paying $9 because they took $1 of the returned $5. Heee -heeee! I can't wait for more responses!

- - Sheryl - - said...

I did the same as Kristina - broke out my calculator.... 25/3 + 3 = 28 + 2 tip to the bell hop = 30

I seem to have done this years ago... so if you say that is not correct - I'll get! hee hee

- - Sheryl - - said...

Audrey - as mentioned above and my first reply - the room cost 25 + 2 dollars tip. If you think about it that way....
3 dollars is the change so to speak from the 30.00

$30.00 - #3 returned to the 3 guys = 27.00

So there you go.
30.00 - 3 left over = 27
27.00 /3 people is 9

- - Sheryl - - said...

another way
is 25/3 = 8.33
2 doe the bell hop tip/3 = .66

8.33 + .66 = 9.00
so each DID pay 9.00

Audrey Frelx said...

Okay, guys. The question is what happened to the "other $1". All your calculations are correct! And, we know what was paid, what was returned, etc.; however, the question about what happened to the $1 needs to be clarified and specific. Whoever answers that one question wins!!! I know I'm a little stinker!

Lee Ann said...

It's a trick with words. Instead of saying $27 plus $2, it should be $27 minus the $2 the bell hop took. The room ended up being $25 dollars, plus the $3 given back to the three friends, plus the $2 the bell hop took, and it all equals $30 which was originally paid.

shari said...

Ok Audrey you are a stinker!
If the room was $25. and they each got $1. that $28. plus the $2. tip that's $30. I don't know how to explain it your way. Shari (cricutrookie)

Audrey Frelx said...

Oh, you guys are good... but, I'm not saying another thing just yet!!! Oh, yea, except nobody has mentioned what happened to that other $1 yet

- - Sheryl - - said...

Audrey - there is nothing left over
if you want to ask about the 1.00
ask it another way.....
What about the 2 or the 3

the correct way to approach is
did he pay 9.00 and how do you prove it
which we did - 25.00 for the room, 2 for the tip = 27.
Each got a 1.00 in return
10-1 = 9.00
Done!

cuttlebug_fan said...

there is no other dollar.

Melissa S said...

There isn't a missing $1! Just bad math!

Audrey Frelx said...

We do have a winner here (and a consolation prize for the runner-up!) And, although I think you can figure out who the winners are, being the little stinker that I am, I'm going to wait to post it on tomorrow's first post!

Thank you all for playing with me, I enjoyed all your comments. Look out for the next game -- it's coming soon!!!

I'll be seeing you!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I had to ask my hubby on this one... he came up with each paying $8.33....

The Miller 6 said...

The facts in this riddle are clear: There is an initial $30 charge. It should have been $25, so $5 must be returned and accounted for. $3 is given to the 3 friends, $2 is kept by the bellhop - there you have the $5. The trick to this riddle is that the addition and subtraction are done at the wrong times to misdirect your thinking - and quite successfully for most. Each of the 3 friends did indeed pay $9, not $10, and as far as the friends are concerned, they paid $27 for the night. But we know that the clerk will tell us that they were charged only $25 and when you add the $3 returned with the $2 kept by the bellhop, you come up with $30.
**from tricky riddles.com** (yeah I cheated cuz it was driving me NUTS!)

there is NO Extra dollar....so it went back into someone's pocket...cuz if there was an extra dollar they would have started out with $31 bucks instead.